Chief Ventilation Engineer at AngloGold Ashanti (Ghana) Limited
- Post Date:November 9, 2021
- Views 64
AngloGold Ashanti (Ghana) Limited, Obuasi Gold Mine is currently near completion of the redevelopment phase to become a modern, efficient and long-term profitable operation. The underground mining operation has been fully mechanized and designed to produce up to an average maximum of 5,000 t/day of ore mined.
We are seeking an experienced and self-motivated person to join our dedicated team as Chief Ventilation Engineer.
ROLE PURPOSE AND CONTEXT
The incumbent will plan/engineer and co-ordinate the ventilation requirements for the mine in line with the established mine plans and Ghana Mining Regulations, ensuring AGAG provides an occupational environment which is conducive to good health, safety and productivity (through anticipation, monitoring, recognition, evaluation and control of factors that may cause adverse or dangerous conditions).
- Develop functional ventilation processes for implementation and progress tracking including the:
- Establishment of suitable systems and procedures to ensure an effective and efficient implementation of the ventilation/occupational hygiene strategies and programs.
- Development of ventilation component of the MTS Management Operating System.
- Establishment of an integrated data capture and reporting system
- Design and model life of mine (LOM) ventilation options in support of LOM mining plan (using Ventsim Visual)
- Manage ventilation projects (including shafts, raise-bore primary fan construction/refurbishment, Return Airway stripping, etc.) to optimize development of the Obuasi Mine envisaged in P300.
- Optimize short term, medium and long terms ventilation plans that ensure delivery of budget requirements and operations strategy
- Develop and submit the annual cost centre budget to achieve the required targets for approved Ventilation Outputs
- Manage the integrated delivery of work by the Ventilation function within approved budget targets and specified timeframes, cost and related KPIs
- Demonstrate Safety Leadership and improve the Culture in ventilation and the MTS department regarding Safety, Health, Environmental and Sustainable Development
- Identify the environmental aspects of all activities/areas of oversight responsibilities and provide appropriate mitigation measures.
- Investigate, respond and take measures to prevent actual / potential environmental incidents in the areas of responsibility.
- Responsible for continuous environmental improvement in the areas of work.
- Provide the systems, resources and expertise to develop the Ventilation team to capably and consistently deliver the annual budget, LoM plan and strategy according to their role and level of authority
- Rigorously drive implementation of projects and strategies and nurture and sustain a culture of Accountability and Continuous Improvement within the Ventilation function
- Develop and maintain constructive relationships with Internal Stakeholders (Exco, Corporate, Group Planning & Technical, sister mines, CARO etc.) and external Stakeholders (Regulatory Agencies and Authorities, Minerals Commission) to establish existing and changing societal and regulatory expectations and requirements
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s Degree in Mining/Mechanical Engineering
- Certificate in Mine Environmental Control
- A post graduate certificate in Management/Management practice would be considered a strong asset
- A minimum of 10 to 15 years of relevant ventilation engineering experience in underground mining environment with some exposure in occupational hygiene
- At least 5 years’ experience in the chief ventilation engineering role
- Ability to analyze and interprete ventilation data and the requisite ventilation methods for different stoping techniques
- Capable of analyzing and interpreting data on environmental stressors
- Capable of developing ventilation design criteria to support safe and optimal mine operations.
- Capable of developing ventilation standard operating procedures
- Capable to carry out aero, thermo & contaminant modelling and interpret results
- A high level of computer literacy with specialized ventilation and mining software such as Ventism, Vuma, Studio 5D/Surpac, Autocad etc.
- A good understanding on blasting time and blasting scheduling
- Blasting certificate
- Mine Rescue certificate
- Shiftboss certificate
- Experience in Ventilation functional Management;
- Demonstrate knowledge in the mining operations value chain
- Demonstrate capacity to interpret data and successfully action sound tactical decisions
- Commercial acumen relevant to the role
- Good user of Ventilation Software (Ventsim/Vuma)
- Safety (Advanced Application): Can identify and interpret safety risks and resolve emerging issues; and ensuring that appropriate focus and resources are available to achieve safety objectives.
- MTS Processes & Practices (Advanced Application):
- Understands key underground mining processes and has demonstrated the ability to apply it in optimising performance.
- Knows when to engage Specialist’s support.
- Understanding of good ventilation practices, management, support systems, and how each should interact to deliver targeted performance.
- Able to manage performance based on interpretation of data and can initiate and drive the operational improvements as required.
- Strong technical, leadership and problem-solving skills
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication, and report writing skills
- Ability and willingness to mentor and train junior and intermediate engineers
- Fostering a team environment – Inspiring and Motivating Others, promoting Collaboration and Team work, Developing Others, Communicating prolifically
- Managing oneself – Taking ownership of one’s personal development;
- Building Effective Working Relationships – The ability to build and maintain effective collateral and cross functional working relationship
Building Trust & Accountability – Displaying high levels of integrity and honesty;
- Creating Organizational Transformation – Displaying strategic perspectives in adapting plans for achieving organizational objectives;
- Maximizing Performance Results – Solving Problems and Analyzing Issues, Driving for Results,
- Displaying Technical and Professional expertise, Innovating, Taking Initiative, Championing Change, Establishing Stretch Goals