Plant Operations Superintendent at AngloGold Ashanti (Ghana) Limited
- Post Date:November 9, 2021
- Views 15
AngloGold Ashanti (Ghana) Limited, Obuasi Gold Mine is currently near completion of the redevelopment phase to become a modern, efficient and long-term profitable operation. The underground mining operation has been fully mechanized and designed to produce up to an average maximum of 5,000 t/day of ore mined.
We are seeking an experienced and self-motivated person to join our dedicated team as Plant Operations Superintendent.
ROLE PURPOSE AND CONTEXT
The purpose of this role is to offer the link between process plant management and the field operating team. He/she shall be responsible and supervise the field implementations of strategies and initiatives including budget controls, aimed at improving the department output. The task shall require sound communication skills, good decision-making skills, strong sense of fair judgement, team building, controlling, absolute grasp of the plant flowchart and set KPIs and or expectations. The Plant Operations Superintendent shall work under the directives and supervision of the Plant Manager-Operations.
- Manage Safety plan elements for the areas under the incumbent’s control
- Review application of safety standards and work practices for the refurbishment construction and infrastructure workforce to enable the safety targets to be managed and achieved.
- Apply HSE regulations with zero tolerance to breaches.
- Demonstrate Safety behaviour consistent with AGAG’s vision and values.
- Lead by example to create a safe working environment, where risks are assessed and managed, so tasks are performed without risk of injury or harm.
- Contribute to the Processing Department’s target to achieve zero reportable environmental incidents, zero compliance breaches and no events requiring public disclosure
- Utilise ‘Analyse and Improve’ tools to investigate process interruptions so that exposure to environmental risks is reduced
- Reduce energy usage by running the plant energy consumption per unit produced at the optimal rate with sphere of influence
- Contribute to the Processing Department’s objective to eliminate hydrocarbon and hyper saline water spills to zero within the Metallurgy Department
- Develop and review cyanide management protocol in compliance with ICMI Code with projects in his/her space.
- Ensure the organisation structure can deliver the operational efficiency strategy.
- Communicate policies and procedures to stakeholders in a manner to achieve full understanding and compliance.
- Provide guidance to subordinates in leadership techniques to achieve maximum performance.
- Develop a skill matrix that includes all disciplines and individual achievements
- Ensure subordinates provide all input up to date for the skill matrix.
- Manage all direct reports through; performing performance appraisals; recommending further / relevant training courses and development actions in accordance with AGAG’s people development program(s).
- Conduct robust succession planning for the Process – shift operations team.
- Inspect and monitor that all out-posted role-holders work within the work Management System framework and that coaching is conducted where work is not completed to an acceptable standard.
- Provide feedback to the Plant Manager – Operations for the role-holders (including Student, Graduate and Production Metallurgists and Metallurgical Technicians Metallurgists) regarding the quality and performance of tasks executed by the role-holders so that the Manager can monitor the effectiveness of their team and conduct Personal Effective Reviews and Appraisals
- Develop/Review Standard Operating Procedures for all work.
Provide recommendations to the Processing Management regarding content and quality of all Work Packages in the department considering, safety, resources and efficiency (of time, cost and productivity) so that any operational changes are incorporated into Work Packages
- Ensure Management of change processes are followed and well documented for all projects.
- Be familiar with Legal Instruments (LI’s) and Codes as laid down by the Republic of Ghana and ensure compliance by his/her team.
- Coordinate the execution of, and verify that, all Processing activities are executed in accordance with the conditions of State and Federal approvals, Public Environmental Review commitments, Mining Proposals, the Mines Safety and Inspection Act, Dangerous Goods Act and other statutory obligations including those identified in the Obligations Register which is developed and maintained by the Sustainability Department.
- Provide appropriate training, coaching, and monitoring so that all contractors and consultants are aware of the relevant statutory requirement are adhered to during project execution.
- The role holder will provide full accountability by ensuring efficient plant performance with his operating team and pushing the limits of operating set parameters.
- The incumbent will be expected to assist with exploring opportunities in all sections of the plant including;
- primary crushing of run-of mine ore, and conveying to a crushed ore stockpile.
- reclaim of ore from the crushed ore stockpile and processing through a semi autogenous.
- grinding (‘SAG’) and ball mill (‘SAB’) grinding circuit, including flash
- Comply with all AGAG-Obuasi security protocols especially that governing the process plant with his team and ensure strict adherence of same by his shift operators.
- He/she must be able to use the SCADA system to troubleshoot problems and guide improve plant performance.
- He or she must be able to take sound decisions from many production variables and complex situations on behalf of plant management and his shift.
- Be skilled in building constructive relationship with work colleagues from affiliated intra and inter departments such as Technical Metallurgical team, SHE, Security, Engineering, Geology and Mining
- Contribute positively to improvement initiatives, strong awareness for challenges and risk on the plant and drive solutions to such issues with his team.
- He/she shall maintain a clean work environment (Housekeeping) at all time. He/she shall observe “everything in its rightful position at all times” attitude in his area of work.
- Take ownership of management plans and improvement strategies, sell them to his team for successful execution on the field and give feedback to management.
- Deep holistic appreciation of all plant operational KPIs and drive its minute by minute execution with his team.
- He/she is accountable for close monitoring of strength and weaknesses in individuals within his team and train, coach, mentor and develop competencies to strengthen his team.
- He she shall be accountable for staff work attendance, leave planning and periodic staff appraisals as required by HR in consultation with Plant Manager-Operations.
- Adopt cost control measures to production including all reasonable use of consumables, tools, reagents, PPEs, etc.
- Use of plant mechanical and electrical equipment in a manner that protects and prevents unnecessary equipment damage, breakdowns that leads to avoidable downtime or safety concerns.
- Take absolute accountability for information on log sheets and logbooks for submission and technical decision making.
- Contribute to the annual Processing Department budget by preparing costed justifications for authorised brainstorming initiatives and integrating into the annual budget for the Department by September each year.
- Develop and review and train his operating team on Standard Operating Procedures to execute all production task.
- Conduct Risk Assessment task that may require them, properly explain each RA to his/her team before task is done and where SLAM is needed by his team, he/she must ensure that it is facilitated per the right protocols.
- Oversee the Requests for Information (RFI) and Technical Query (TQ) process, review and approve appropriate technical and non-technical documentation
- Proactively identify and manage change to avoid potential cost, schedule and quality issues
- Oversee mechanical refurbishment witness inspections and testing regime to ensure quality and or performance is in line with obligations and expectations.
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Recognised tertiary qualification in Metallurgy, Mineral, Material or Chemical Engineering
- Professional Engineer (Ghana Institution of Engineers)
- 10 years’ experience in a processing plant. Preferably 5 – 8 years in a senior supervisory role
- Plant Commissioning Experience.
- Experience and good understanding of total mining cycle.
- Proven experience in collaborating with the engineering department.
- Minimum understanding of Metallurgical Accounting and its interpretation
- Plant/Met/Processing Superintendent Certification
- Management of plant performance and efficiency
- Production scheduling
- Stock management and control
- In depth understanding of Metallurgical Accounting
- Demonstrable knowledge of metallurgical processes such as, but not limited to, size reduction, flotation, leaching, desorption and tailings disposal
- Self-driven to achieve targets and improve the status quo.
- Should not require direct supervision because this incumbent provides leadership especially after normal office hours
- Strong and proven decision-making skills.
- Willingness to delegate
- Demonstrates behaviours consistent with AGA values.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and motivating skills.
Method of Application
Related Jobs (3)
Mechanical Supervisor – Process Plant at AngloGold Ashanti (Ghana) Limited on November 9, 2021 Full Time
Chief Ventilation Engineer at AngloGold Ashanti (Ghana) Limited on November 9, 2021 Full Time