Process Metallurgist at Newmont Mining Corporation
- Post Date:November 16, 2021
- Views 103
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
ABOUT THIS ROLE:
To provide technical support for the Akyem operation. This will entail the preparation and analysis of laboratory or plant samples, performing and monitoring of laboratory and plant tests and communication and reporting of results to relevant parties. The role-holder will also assist Plant Metallurgists with routine duties for example reagent management, mill liner and screen wear rate monitoring, participation in mine-to-mill initiatives and maintaining reports and KPI’s required to maintain the Processing MOS at an effective level.
IN THIS ROLE YOU WILL:
- Provide technical assistance to the Akyem process operating personnel to ensure optimum metallurgical performance of the process plant by applying initiative and problem solving abilities.
- Assure compliance with established procedures and quality assurance methods
- Prepare metallurgical reports as necessary.
- Assist in the development and review of the metallurgical procedures.
- Assist the senior Metallurgist in maintaining the metallurgical accounting practices (assisting in the end of month metallurgical accounting process).
- Assist the Metallurgists with routine duties;
- reagent management, mill liner and screen wear rate monitoring.
- calibration of measuring devices and maintenance of sampling devices.
- Perform audits on metallurgical practices, correct and implement permanent solutions.
- Actively participate in continuous improvement programs which will assist in enhancing the performance of the Akyem process plant operation, including but not limited to mine-to-mill initiatives.
- Accountable for the completion of all tasks identified in the Processing Operations MOS Elements to the specified quality and timeliness as assigned to this role.
- Assist the Plant Metallurgist to maintain metallurgical systems (PI historian, OCS Mill Expert System).
- Produce timely and accurate reporting of production data and generate plant production forecasts for use by Senior Management.
- Report and make recommendations to Process Management, based on operational information and trends.
Safety and Environment
- Comply with all Newmont Occupational Health, Safety and Environmental requirements under Newmont’s Integrated Management System, Newmont vision and values.
- Accept personal responsibility for the health and safety of every employee under or assigned to his/her supervision.
- Participate in relevant incident / accident investigations and take corrective action to prevent injury and / or re-occurrence.
- Raise, discuss and resolve safety, environmental and social responsibility issues at regular meetings.
- Identify potential hazards and take appropriate action.
- Be abreast with mineral processing technology and the practical experiences of other operations.
- Complete training program as specified for the Metallurgical Trainee.
YOUR TRAINING, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE CHECKLIST
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations)
- Bachelors’ Degree in Extractive Metallurgy.
- Knowledge of metallurgy principles and industry standards.
- Knowledge of metallurgical plant equipment.
- Knowledge of the statutory regulations relevant to safety and the environment for the mining industry.
- Minimum of 1 year’ experience in metalliferous mining.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Advanced communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Advanced computer literacy skills – MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Information monitoring and management skills.
- Planning, organizing and prioritizing skills.
- Strong project management skills.
- Statistical and mathematical skills.
- Change management skills.
- Ability to interpret metallurgical engineering drawings.
- Attention to Detail.
- Goal Oriented.
- Results Driven.
- Safety conscious.
- Team Player.
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representatives of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job.
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Work Environment: The employee is required to operate in a safety-critical environment with hazardous materials and potentially harmful / dangerous machinery and equipment. The employee occasionally is exposed to electrical hazards of both high and low voltage. The employee may also be exposed to fumes, high temperature hazardous materials, sharp edges, dust, pinch-points, vibration, slippery surfaces etc.
- Protective Equipment (PPE): Work requires mandatory PPE such as helmet, goggles, high visible clothing, safety harness, ear plugs and dust mask.
Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that fosters leaders and allows every person to thrive, contribute, and grow. We are committed to selecting and developing our employees, and to establishing a work environment where everyone can take an active part in reaching our strategic goals while feeling a sense of pride in working at Newmont.
Newmont seeks to recruit, hire, place and promote qualified applicants, meaning applicants who meet the minimum requirements of the position, without regard to personal characteristics such as gender, race, nationality, ethnic, social and indigenous origin, religion or belief, disability, age or sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. As part of our diversity efforts. females are encouraged to apply.
Method of Application
Submit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 30th Nov. 2021