Process Operations Supervisor at Newmont Mining Corporation
- Post Date:August 30, 2020
- Views 55
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
To coordinate and manage the daily activities of process operations shift personnel in upholding safety and ensuring efficiency and a high work quality output to improve operational performance and contribute to optimum production levels
- Supervise operations in all process areas (i.e. Crushing, Grinding, CIL, Elution, CCD, WSF and TSF).
- Ensure adherence to operating parameters, make decisions on operating conditions / parameters and take necessary corrective action to minimize operating variations.
- Work with the metallurgical team and laboratory to ensure the optimum metallurgical performance of the process plant.
- Coordinate maintenance requirements of the process plant outside of business hours to maintain production requirements and targets.
- Participate in continuous improvement programs, which will assist in enhancing the performance of the process plant operation.
- Complete all tasks identified in the Processing Operations MOS Elements to the specified quality and timeliness as assigned to this role.
- Prepare shift production and operating reports, complete work requests, prepare purchase / warehouse requisitions and prepare employee time and attendance reports.
- Complete reports accurately detailing production variances, restrictions, hazards, corrective actions.
- Produce a daily shift report and submit the report to the General Foreman.
- Comply with all HSLP, Environment and Social Responsibility requirements under Newmont’s Integrated Management System.
- Accept personal responsibility for the health and safety of every employee under or assigned to his / her supervision.
The above duties and responsibilities listed above are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations)
- Bachelors’ Degree in Extractive Metallurgy, Chemistry, or equivalent.
- Advanced knowledge of mineral processing principles and industry standards.
- Advanced knowledge of processing plant equipment.
- Minimum of 6 – 8 years’ experience in metalliferous mining, with a minimum of 4 – 5 years’ in gold processing operations.
- Minimum of 3 – 5 years’ experience supervising large and diverse teams.
- Previous process operating experience, particularly crushing, SAG – Ball Mill Grinding, Leach / CIL / CIP, Elution, Reagents and Tails operation.
Position in a very remote location. The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job.
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Work environment: The noise level in the office work environment is minimal; however, the employee is occasionally required to operate in a safety-critical environment with hazardous materials and potentially harmful / dangerous machinery and equipment. Occasional exposure to noise, fumes, high temperature hazardous materials, sharp edges, dust, pinch-points, slippery surfaces etc.
- Protective equipment (PPE): Work requires mandatory PPE such as helmet, goggles, high visible clothing, safety harness, earplugs, and dust mask based on working conditions.